Last night as I lay in bed, for some reason, I started thinking of what I would like to eat the next day. I knew I wanted something homemade so I started scanning the contents of the freezer in my mind. All of a sudden, pasta and sauce came to mind. I got excited about the idea and got out of bed to take out some of the ingredients to thaw overnight.
I decided to make a sauce instead of settling with regular stew or even making “jollof” pasta.
So here goes!
Optional items are the corn beef and shrimps.
~ Since pasta doesn’t take too long to cook. You can make that last so it’s served fresh off the burner. Follow the instructions on the packaging for cooking steps.
~ If you like, you can lightly season the ground turkey before you begin cooking. This allows the season to really get into the turkey before it’s ready to be cooked.
1) In a non stick pan, add 1 cooking spoon of olive oil and heat using medium flame. It should be just enough to create a little pool of oil.
2. Pour in diced onions and stir fry till it’s lightly transparent, then add some salt (about 2-3 sprinkles).
3. Add in the tomato paste and allow to fry for about 5 – 7mins with occasional stirring to prevent burning.
4. Next pour in the diced tomatoes and allow to cook for another 7 mins.
4a) Add in the minced ginger & garlic, thyme, pepper and 1 seasoning pack. Stir and cook for another 7 mins.
5. As the tomato cooks, it’s time to prepare the ground turkey.
5a) In a frying pan or skillet, heat up some olive oil or cooking spray using mid flame.
5b) Once the oil is hot, add in the ground turkey. Note: There is going to be a lot of oil splashing so be careful!
5c) As the turkey starts to cook, gently stir it around till it’s no longer pink. We aren’t going to fully cook it yet. We will finish it off with the tomato.
6) Add the partially cooked ground turkey to the boiling tomato sauce. Stir and cook for about 5 mins.
7) Add the green bell pepper and cook for about 7 – 9 mins. By now, you should be able to perceive the aroma of the bell pepper. *hmm yuuummm*
8) If you decide to use the corn beef and shrimps, you add them last so as not to over cook them. Add to sauce, stir and simmer for about 5 – 7 mins under low flame.
Sauce is ready!
Serve with whole grain pasta