Meat pies are very common in Nigeria and serve as a quick snack to keep hunger under control 😉 It is also sometimes eaten after meals or in between meals or even used as light breakfast with tea/coffee. Though it could be a bit involving to prepare, It is super fun and easy to make.
Time to make: 2 – 2.5 hrs
- All purpose baking flour (2lbs)
- Baking powder (1 TBs)
- Pinch of salt
- Half Tsp of sugar (optional)
- Canola/Vegetable Oil
- Margarine (Note: Butter is NOT a substitute)
- 1 Egg
- Carrots (4)
- Potato (1 oversized or 2 regular sized)
- Other veggies (peas, tomatoes) (optional)
- Onions (1 bulb)
- Ground pepper (optional)
- Seasoning salt
- Ground beef (1lb)
- Basting brush
- Rolling pin
Prepare the meat pie filling
- Season the ground beef with maggi, seasoning salt, ground pepper, curry, thyme. Allow it to sit for about 15mins for the seasoning to get absorbed into the beef.
- Place a small amount of oil into a pot and heat under medium flame. Chop the onions and add to hot oil and stir fry for about 3mins.
- Add the ground beef and allow to cook for about 10mins. Remember to stir the beef periodically so it does not burn or stick together too much. Beef will be brown when cooked.
- Wash and dice carrots and potatoes.
- Add the carrots, potatoes and any other veggies of your choice.
- Stir and allow to cook for about 7mins and add about 1 teaspoon of ground pepper (note if pepper is really hot, reduce amount used), 1 maggi cube and salt to taste.
- Mix 2 spoons of flour in a cup with a little water and pour into filling. Stir and cook for about 5 mins and reduce the heat. (Remember to taste the filling and add more seasoning spice to desired taste)
- Stir and cook till potatoes is cooked.
- Remove filling from heat and set aside.
Prepare the dough
- Pour the flour into a bowl, add the baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Using your fingers, mix the flour together.
- Now add the butter and using your fingers again, mix the margarine in till the flour mix is grainy. (Tip: For crispiness, don”t use your palm. Keep the mixing to just your fingers)
- Slowly add cold water to the flour mix and using your hands start to knead into a dough and keep adding water till a stiff dough is formed as you knead. If you added to much water, just add more flour.
- Knead the dough to a fine state. (It should not stick to the bowl & should have some elasticity at this stage)
- On a chopping board or clean kitchen counter, take a piece of the dough & flatten out using the rolling pin till it is smooth and about 1.5 thickness.
- Once flat and smooth, use a small pot cover or dough cutter to cut out a circle. (Do this for the entire dough)
- Place some filling unto the lower half of the circle
- Beat the egg and using a basting brush, line the edge of the circle. This helps seal the dough shut.
- Cover filling with the upper half of the circle and using the underside of the fork, close the pie. Then stick the fork in the center of the pie to make air pockets.
- After using up the entire dough or filling, use the basting brush to grease the top of the pies with the remaining egg.
- Preheat the oven using bake ( @ 350 degrees)
- Place the pies on greased oven tray.
- Once oven is done preheating, place the pies in the oven and cook for about 25 – 30mins.
- Pies should be light brown and dough fully cooked when ready.
- Meat pies are ready to serve! 🙂
Serve with a nice cold drink or with ice cream.