Zobo as it is called in Nigeria, is a very popular drink across Africa. It is also known as Bisap in Ghana and is a very tasty and healthy drink. It is very high in vitamins and has a lot of antioxidants. Great for a hot afternoon.
Makes 1 liter.
- Dry zobo leaves (dried hibiscus flowers)
- Pineapple chunks
- Put 3 hand full of zobo leaves in a clean bowl
- Wash zobo leaves briefly in water as they are usually dusty. Don’t worry about the bleeding, there is more color where that came from. Pick out any sticks or dirt that may be in it. Place in a clean pot
- Put in 6-8 pineapple chunks, pour in 1 liter of water and cook for 5 mins
- Add 1/2 Tsp of garlic & thinly sliced garlic (more ginger = more zesty flavor)
- Cook for 30 mins to allow the leaves & pineapples to soften. Add more water and stir.
- Remove from heat & allow to cool completely
- Now take scoops of leaves & pineapples and squeeze out the juice from it, putting aside squeezed batches.
- Seive the rest to remove all leaves.
- Using a tight seive or a cloth, sieve again to remove fine particules
- Add sugar or desired sweetener to taste, stir & turn into bottles or water jug then chill in fridge
- Zobo is ready to serve
Can be served with a slice of lemon & ice cubes.